Getty Images

A.J. Foyt recovering after being stung numerous times by swarm of killer bees

1 Comment

Legendary racer and team owner A.J. Foyt is recovering after being attacked by a swarm of Africanized killer bees on his Houston-area ranch.

The bees attacked the 83-year-old Foyt on Wednesday as he rode a bulldozer while working on his Houston-area ranch and apparently disturbed a bee hive.

He was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment and released several hours later after his condition was stabilized and he was able to return home.

It’s the second time Foyt, one of only three drivers to win the Indianapolis 500 four times, has been attacked by bees on his ranch in recent years.

He suffered over 200 bee stings to his head and even more to his body in a 2005 attack.

A statement by A.J. Foyt Racing indicated Wednesday’s injury was more serious than the one 13 years ago because the earlier attack had made him more sensitive to bee stings.

Foyt had planned on attending this weekend’s 12 Hours of Sebring in Florida, but has cancelled the trip for medical reasons. He had been scheduled to be inducted into Sebring’s Hall of Fame tonight and was slated to be the race’s grand marshal on Saturday.

The bee attack apparently didn’t injure Foyt’s wry sense of humor.

“I look like I had a fight with Mike Tyson and lost,” he said. “Right now I’m on so much medication that I’m not feeling that great, so I’ll take the doctors’ advice to rest for the next couple days.”

Contributing: The Associated Press

Follow @JerryBonkowski 

INDYCAR: Patricio O’Ward turns heads in Carlin debut

Chris Jones / IndyCar
Leave a comment

While the top story coming out of Sunday’s IndyCar Classic at Circuit of the Americas is undoubtedly 18-year-old Colton Herta’s victory in only his third IndyCar start, another teenager made quite some noise during the first IndyCar race at the facility.

19-year-old Patricio O’Ward made an impressive start to his 2019 IndyCar campaign by starting and finishing in eighth position. It was the first of his 13 races this season for Carlin Racing.

“I think it was a pretty good race for us. We ended exactly where we started and didn’t go backwards, so I’d say that was a successful day” O’Ward said. “I know the No. 31 Carlin Chevrolet had a top-five finish in it today and even though we couldn’t make it happen, it’s nice to know that we have the pace and can be fighting up front with the veteran drivers.”

O’Ward, the 2018 Indy Lights champ, made his series debut for Harding Steinbrenner Racing at last year’s season finale at Sonoma Raceway, where he made it to the Firestone Fast Six in qualifying and finished ninth. O’Ward was scheduled to race for the team full-time in 2019, but left in early February to pursue other options due to a lack of sponsorship.

Pato found a new home with Carlin, and despite missing preseason testing, he proved to be competitive from the get go and pressured some of IndyCar’s more tenured drivers, including Graham Rahal.

In what was undoubtedly the most daring move of the race, O’Ward ended a great battle with Rahal by hitting a superb outside pass on Lap 15.

O’Ward may have likely earned a better result on Sunday, if he didn’t have to save fuel in order to make the finish.

But with only two IndyCar starts to his credit, he is already racing like a seasoned veteran. Sunday’s IndyCar Classic may be the first of many successful outings for him this year.

After the race, he tweeted to his team: “Well done gentlemen … This is only the beginning.”

Follow Michael Eubanks on Twitter