WARSAW, Poland (AP) — Last year’s test drives for Renault have shown Robert Kubica that a return to Formula One racing is possible despite almost losing his right hand in a 2011 rally crash.
The Pole did not secure a place with Renault, his team at the time of the crash, but said Thursday it showed “not everything is lost.”
Kubica, now a reserve and development driver for Williams, does not have full command of his right hand but said he can still drive at a high level.
“We all know I have limitations now, but … they are not big enough to prevent me from top-level driving an F1 car,” said Kubica, who didn’t drive Formula One cars for more than six years after the crash but took part in rallies.
Kubica earned 12 podium finishes in Formula One racing between 2006-10 and was considered among the sport’s brightest talents. Now 33, his goal is to return to F1, but he conceded there is not much time.
He said his role at Williams is a step in that direction, however, adding it made him return to the F1 paddock and pursue the “fascination that I live for, that gives me the energy to get up in the morning and do my best.”
Kubica also said his packed schedule will keep him from racing in the FIA World Endurance Championship.