Brian Cleary/Getty Images

IMSA: Jordan Taylor ready to race days after emergency appendectomy

Leave a comment

LONG BEACH, Calif. – Jordan Taylor practiced Friday morning on the streets of Long Beach, and the IMSA DPI points leader seems ready for Saturday’s 100-minute sprint race after undergoing an emergency appendectomy while on vacation in Hawaii.

Team owner Wayne Taylor, who is also the driver’s father, told NBCSports.com and the Associated Press after the opening session that his son was “fine” after getting behind the wheel of the No. 10 Konica Minolta Cadillac Dpi-V.R that he shares with Renger van der Zande.

“He’s been off painkillers since Tuesday morning,” Wayne Taylor said of his son. “He’s only on Tylenol. It’s amazing.”

Wayne Taylor said his son woke up in pain on the last day of a three-day trip to Hawaii. Jordan Taylor was taken by ambulance to a hospital, where he underwent the surgery late Monday night and stayed for a couple of days. Jordan and Wayne Taylor flew to California late Thursday night, and Jordan Taylor was at the track by 5 a.m. Friday for practice.

According to IMSA rules, Taylor would have been eligible to earn points by spending at least five minutes behind the wheel in Saturday’s race, but Wayne Taylor said he’s expecting his son to handle a full load in splitting stints with van der Zende.

“He’s not going to get out of the car,” Wayne Taylor said.

Kamui Kobayashi was summoned from Monaco to be on standby.

“We asked Kobayashi to come out just in case,” Taylor said. “We checked with IMSA, and (Jordan) was cleared. He had to be here at 5 a.m. to make sure he could get in the car.”

The Wayne Taylor Racing team of Taylor, van der Zande, Kobayashi and Fernando Alonso combined to win the Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona. Taylor, van der Zande and Matthieu Vaxiviere finished second last month at the 12 Hours of Sebring. The No. 10 has three consecutive top-two finishes dating to last season (including a victory in the 2018 finale at Petit Le Mans).

Keating stripped of Le Mans GTE-Am win; No. 68 Ganassi entry also disqualified

IMSA
2 Comments

FIA stewards announced Monday that two Ford GT entries have been disqualified from this year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans, including the GTE-Am class-winning No. 85 entry from privateer Keating Motorsports.

Also DQ’d was the factory No. 68 Chip Ganassi Racing entry of Joey Hand, Dirk Mueller and Sebastien Bourdais, which initially finished fourth in the GTE-Pro class.

Both entries were found in violation of fuel capacity regulations, with the No. 85 entry also failing to meet the minimum refueling time during pit stops.

The refueling system on the No. 85 entry, driven by Ben Keating, Jeroen Bleekemolen and Felipe Fraga, measured a time of 44.4 seconds during a stop, just shy of the minimum required time of 45 seconds.

As a result, the team was initially issued a 55.2-second post-race penalty by officials, which elevated the No. 56 Team Project 1 Porsche 911 RSR of Joerg Bergmeister, Patrick Lindsey, and Egidio Perfetti to the class win.

The time penalty was calculated by the difference in the refueling time (0.6 seconds) multiplied by the amount of pit stops made by the team (23), then multiplied by four.

The No. 85 entry was set to finish second in class, but then received an outright DQ after its fuel capacity was also revealed to be 0.1 liters above the maximum permitted capacity of 96 liters.

As for Ganassi’s No. 68 entry, it was found to have a fuel capacity of 97.83 liters, which is above the maximum allowed capacity of 97 liters for the GTE-Pro Fords.

The No. 67 Ford of Andy Priaulx, Harry Tincknell, and Jonathan Bomarito subsequently moves up to fourth, and the No. 69 Ford of Scott Dixon, Ryan Briscoe and Richard Westbrook moves up to fifth.

Follow Michael Eubanks on Twitter