Conor Daly set the fastest lap of the week so far during the closing laps of Indianapolis 500 practice Friday evening, with a lap of 231.704 mph.
Daly, driving the No. 25 Air Force Dallara-Honda in a one-off entry for Andretti Autosport, knocked teammate Marco Andretti off the top of the scoring pylon, with Takuma Sato ending the day third fastest, followed by Spencer Pigot and Ryan Hunter-Reay.
On the list of non-tow speeds, which most replicate the conditions in qualifying Saturday and Sunday, Ed Jones was once again fastest with a 230.106 mph lap, followed by Jones’s teammate and car owner Ed Carpenter (229.879) and Alexander Rossi (229.878).
THE 103RD INDIANAPOLIS 500: Click here for how to watch, full daily schedules
The practice session saw Kyle Kaiser hit the turn 3 wall early on, nearly becoming airborne. Luckily, Kaiser was unhurt, but his No. 32 Juncos Racing machine suffered massive damage as a result. The team spent the rest of the day, and will likely spend a very late evening in the garage working on preparing their backup car for qualifying on Saturday.
Click here for the fastest speeds Friday
Click here for the non-tow speeds from Friday.
Follow Michael Eubanks on Twitter
We’re just past the eight hour mark in the 2020 edition of the Rolex 24, and darkness has descended over the Daytona International Speedway.
Scott Dixon is the current overall leader, while Harry Tincknell runs in the second position.
As of 10:15 pm ET, the leaders are:
- No. 10 Wayne Taylor Racing, Cadillac DPi, Scott Dixon
- No. 55 Mazda Team Joest, Mazda DPi, Harry Tincknell
- No. 31 Whelen Engineering Racing, Cadillac DPi, Felipe Nasr
- No. 81 Dragonspeed USA, ORECA LMP2 07, Ben Hanley
- No. 52 PR1 Mathiasen Motorsports, ORECA LMP2 07, Simon Trummer
- No. 8 Tower MotorSport by Starworks, ORECA LMP2 07, David Heinemeier Hansson
- No. 912 Porsche GT Team, Porsche 911 RSR-19, Earl Bamber
- No. 24 BMW Rahal Letterman Lanigan, BMW M8 GTE, Augusto Farfus
- No. 911 Porsche GT Team, Porsche 911 RSR-19, Fred Makowiecki
- No. 48 Paul Miller Racing, Lamborghini Huracan GT3, Madison Snow
- No. 9 Pfaff Motorsports, Porsche 911 GT3 R, Zacharie Robichon
- No. 12 AIM Vasser Sullivan, Lexus RC F GT3, Frankie Montecalvo
Live coverage of the Rolex 24 at Daytona will return to NBCSN at 11 p.m. ET. Fans can also watch all remaining coverage on NBC Sports Gold’s Trackpass.