Rinus VeeKay will conduct a second test in an Indy car with Ed Carpenter Racing next Tuesday at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, the driver announced in a press release Thursday.
The 2019 Indy Lights runner-up, VeeKay made his initial test with the team in August at Portland International Raceway.
In his maiden Indy Lights season, VeeKay won six races, including a sweep of the final two races of the year at Laguna Seca.
“I’m really honored that the team has invited me to test again,” VeeKay said. “It’s a great opportunity to show what I’m capable. I learned so much during the first test in Portland and I’m excited to build on that at Mid-Ohio, a track I absolutely love.”
If VeeKay’s previous performances at the 2.258-mile, 13-Turn road course are any indication, he should be in for another solid test. VeeKay has finished no worse than third at Mid-Ohio in Road to Indy competition, including a pair of Indy Pro 2000 victories at the track in 2018.
“It means a lot that a team as highly regarded as Ed Carpenter Racing has invited me back for a second test,” VeeKay said. “The testing opportunities in the NTT IndyCar Series are very limited, so when you’re invited for a test, that’s a real sign of confidence.”
Though VeeKay does not currently have a contract to race with any particular team in IndyCar next season, he remains a prime candidate to split the No. 20 ECR Chevrolet with owner/driver Ed Carpenter next year, should Ed Jones not return to the team.
Follow Michael Eubanks on Twitter
McLaren Formula One drivers Carlos Sainz Jr. and Lando Norris are taking pay cuts, while the team is furloughing other employees as part of protective cost-cutting during the coronavirus pandemic.
With F1 racing suspended, McLaren said both drivers and senior management, including chief executive Zak Brown, all agreed to voluntary pay decreases. No figure was given, but McLaren said the percentage of the cut is the same for all employees who are not furloughed.
McLaren said in an email that “these measures are focused on protecting jobs in the short term to ensure our employees return to full-time work as the economy recovers.”
Sainz Jr. tweeted his support, saying “I fully understand these tough decisions and I have obviously decided to take a pay cut. We are all in this together.”
The first eight races of the 22-race campaign have been called off because of the virus. The season-opening Australian GP and the showpiece Monaco GP have been canceled, while the others might be rescheduled.
There is no date set for when the season might start, with the Canadian GP the next scheduled race on the disrupted calendar on June 14.
The season is scheduled to finish with the Abu Dhabi GP on Nov. 29, but F1 organizers previously said they anticipated that “the season end date will extend beyond our original end date.”
To further save costs and potentially gain time, engine manufacturers and teams are observing a three-week factory shutdown period. It normally would have been two weeks and would have taken place during the midseason summer break.