David Rosenblum/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Magnussen, Rockenfeller to return to Corvette Racing in two WEC events

Leave a comment

A couple of familiar faces will return to the Corvette camp in the next two rounds of the 2020 FIA World Endurance Championship.

Jan Magnussen and Mike Rockenfeller will drive for the team in the rounds at Circuit of the Americas on February 23 and Sebring International Raceway on March 20.

The race will be the first for both drivers in the new mid-engine Corvette C8.R, which made it’s debut in the Rolex 24 at Daytona last month.

“I’m very happy to be back with Corvette Racing at Circuit of The Americas and Sebring with the mid-engine Corvette C8.R.,” Magnussen said. “For some time, we have been working together on plans for additional races that will help develop and prepare the team and mid-engine Corvette for the IMSA season and hopefully other big races this year. Even in early testing, I was very impressed with the level of engineering and performance of the C8.R. I’m excited to drive it again, now in race conditions.”

Magnussen is making a return to the team after being replaced by Jordan Taylor in Corvette’s IMSA program following the conclusion of the 2019 season.

Rockenfeller was released from the team in 2019 following a clash between Corvette’s participation in the 24 Hours of Le Mans and his commitments to Audi in DTM.

“This is a very exciting time to return with Corvette Racing,” Rockenfeller said. “I have heard a lot from the other drivers about how the Corvette C8.R is much more advanced than any other Corvette out there. So I’m really looking forward to these two upcoming events.”

Corvette Racing’s next appearance in IMSA’s WeatherTech Sports Car Championship will be the 12 Hours of Sebring on March 21. Live coverage begins at 10:30 a.m. ET on CNBC.

Follow Michael Eubanks on Twitter

Robert Wickens shares more positive strides toward recovery in new video

Joe Skibinski/IndyCar
Leave a comment

Robert Wickens has made massive steps since sustaining a spinal cord injury in an Aug. 19, 2018 crash at Pocono Raceway.

Since the accident, Wickens publicly has shared his recovery, often uploading videos of his physical rehabilitation on Twitter.

In his most recent update on Wednesday, Wickens shared a video of him walking on a treadmill. Fellow NTT IndyCar Series competitor Tony Kannan, who competes in triathlons during his spare time, also was visible running on the treadmill behind Wickens.

“When I am @TonyKannan [sic] age, I hope to run as fast as him…” Wickens tweeted. “Today was a good day!”

Wickens, who will turn 31 on March 13, first made his return to the IndyCar paddock in last year’s season opener in St. Petersburg. Since then, he’s made a return to the driver’s seat, piloting a specialized Acura NSX prior to the start of last year’s IndyCar race in his hometown of Toronto.

In September, Wickens fulfilled a vow to his wife Karli, by standing with her during their wedding. The new husband and wife also danced together during their reception.

Should Wickens fully recover to resume racing, Arrow McLaren SP co-owner Sam Schmidt has stated that the team’s No. 6 entry will be available for him to drive. Wickens continues to remain as a “driver coach and consultant” for the team.

Follow Michael Eubanks on Twitter