The Monster Energy Supercross series announced Friday that the remainder of its 2020 season has been postponed until further notice, citing the outbreak of the coronavirus (COVID-19).
In a statement posted to Twitter, Supercross said the decision resulted from “the increasing spread of COVID-19 and expanding restrictions on domestic and international travel” as well as “national, state, and local governments prohibiting large group gatherings.”
The statement also announced the cancellation of these races:
The series has run 10 races so far with seven races still scheduled. Aside from the five races listed as canceled above, there was no update on the April 25 race at Las Vegas and the May 2 event at Salt Lake City.
“The health and safety of everyone attending and competing in our live events, as well as our touring personnel, is our top priority,” the statement read. “We will continue to monitor the situation.”
In the most recent race March 7 at Daytona International Speedway, Eli Tomac won to take the lead in the championship standings by three points over Ken Rozen, who finished second.
Defending MotoGP series champion Marc Marquez underwent a second surgery Monday after a titanium plate inserted in his fractured right arm sustained damage. The Repsol Honda Team said in a statement that it’ll be two days before the recovery period is determined.
Marquez was injured during a crash in the July 19 season opener. He underwent an initial surgery July 21 in Barcelona, and doctors said there was no nerve damage.
The eight-time champion was cleared to race in the season’s second event Jerez. But Marquez decided to skip the July 26 race after experiencing discomfort while riding the No. 93 bike in a July 25 practice.
MOTOGP ON NBC: How to watch the 2020 season
He had planned to race in Sunday’s grand prix at the Automotodrom Brno in the Czech Republic in hopes of returning to defend his title. His status for Sunday apparently will be unclear until at least Wednesday.
In a statement Monday, the team said the titanium plate in Marquez’s right arm successfully was replaced after stress accumulation. Marquez will stay in the hospital for two days recovering.
Dr Xavier Mir, who performed the surgery at the Hospital Universitari Dexeus, said in the release that “Marc Marquez underwent surgery 13 days ago and today he returned to the operating room. The first operation was successful, what was not expected was that the plate was insufficient. An accumulation of stress in the operated area has caused the plate to suffer some damage, so today the titanium plate has been removed and replaced by a new fixation.
“The rider has not felt pain during this period. He has always followed the medical advice given and the feeling from his body. Unfortunately, an overstress has caused this issue. Now we have to wait 48 hours to understand the recovery time.”