Former NASCAR winners Kyle Larson and Kasey Kahne will be among those returning to race with the World of Outlaws NOS Energy Drink Sprint Car Series before limited crowds at a Pevely, Missouri, short track.
The races tonight and Saturday at Federated Auto Parts Raceway at I-55 will be held before a limited number of fans in the grandstands.
According to a series release, the doubleheader will include 62 cars racing for $6,000 Friday and $20,000 Saturday, and the field will include Larson and Kahne trying to make their Outlaws debuts at I-55 this weekend.
COLUMN: Why Kyle Larson’s NASCAR return will be difficult
Larson, who remains on indefinite suspension from NASCAR for using a racial slur but was approved to race with the Outlaws after completing sensitivity training, finished 10th in the Outlaws’ return May 8 at Knoxville (Iowa) Raceway. Racing a sprint car for the first time in more than a year, Kahne didn’t make the feature race.
David Gravel scored his 52nd career Outlaws win at the Knoxville event, which was held without fans.
The races in Pevely will mark the Outlaws’ first with sprint cars before crowds since returning from hiatus after the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) layoff.
Three races in the past week that had been scheduled with limited crowds for its Late Model Series were canceled because of inclement weather.
Defending MotoGP series champion Marc Marquez underwent a second surgery Monday after a titanium plate inserted in his fractured right arm sustained damage. The Repsol Honda Team said in a statement that it’ll be two days before the recovery period is determined.
Marquez was injured during a crash in the July 19 season opener. He underwent an initial surgery July 21 in Barcelona, and doctors said there was no nerve damage.
The eight-time champion was cleared to race in the season’s second event Jerez. But Marquez decided to skip the July 26 race after experiencing discomfort while riding the No. 93 bike in a July 25 practice.
MOTOGP ON NBC: How to watch the 2020 season
He had planned to race in Sunday’s grand prix at the Automotodrom Brno in the Czech Republic in hopes of returning to defend his title. His status for Sunday apparently will be unclear until at least Wednesday.
In a statement Monday, the team said the titanium plate in Marquez’s right arm successfully was replaced after stress accumulation. Marquez will stay in the hospital for two days recovering.
Dr Xavier Mir, who performed the surgery at the Hospital Universitari Dexeus, said in the release that “Marc Marquez underwent surgery 13 days ago and today he returned to the operating room. The first operation was successful, what was not expected was that the plate was insufficient. An accumulation of stress in the operated area has caused the plate to suffer some damage, so today the titanium plate has been removed and replaced by a new fixation.
“The rider has not felt pain during this period. He has always followed the medical advice given and the feeling from his body. Unfortunately, an overstress has caused this issue. Now we have to wait 48 hours to understand the recovery time.”