How to watch the Indy 500
Joe Skibinski/IndyCar

How to watch the Indy 500 on NBC

1 Comment

After a three-month delay, the world’s biggest motorsports event finally is nearing the green flag, and here’s all the information for how to watch the Indy 500 at 1 p.m. ET on Aug. 23 on NBC.

The 104th running of the race was the first in the event’s history to be postponed. Because of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, the Indy 500 also will be run without fans for the first time during its history.

But the rest of the iconic race will unfold in virtually the same way it has for more than a century. Coverage will be available on NBC Sports Gold, NBCSN and NBC.

Here’s how to watch the Indy 500 on NBC Sports (all times are ET):

When and how to watch the Indy 500?

The 104th running of the Indianapolis 500 will take place on Sunday, Aug. 23. Live coverage begins at 1 p.m. ET on NBC and will be streaming on the NBC Sports app.

The command to start engines will be given at 2:23 p.m., and the green flag will drop at 2:30 p.m.

How many laps and how long is the Indy 500?

The race is 500 miles over 200 laps. Depending on the number of yellow flags, the Indy 500 typically takes about 3 hours to complete (give or take 30 minutes).

When is Indy 500 qualifying?

The 33-car field for the 104th running of the Indianapolis 500 was set in qualifying Aug. 15-16 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Marco Andretti became the first member of his famous racing family to win the pole position in 33 years.

What is the broadcast schedule for the month of August?

NBC Sports will have coverage whenever cars are on track at Indianapolis Motor Speedway via NBC Sports Gold, NBCSN or NBC. Here’s the daily schedule:

Date Time (ET) Event Platform
Aug. 12 11 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Indy 500 practice NBC Sports Gold
Aug. 13 11 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Indy 500 practice NBC Sports Gold
Aug. 14 11 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Indy 500 practice NBC Sports Gold
Aug. 15 8:30-9:30 a.m. Indy 500 practice NBC Sports Gold
Aug. 15 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Indy 500 qualifying NBC (3-5 p.m.), NBCSG
Aug. 16 11-11:30 a.m. Indy 500 practice NBC Sports Gold
Aug. 16 1:15-2:15 p.m. Indy 500 pole qualifying NBC (1-3 p.m.), NBCSG
Aug. 16 3:30-6 p.m. Indy 500 practice NBCSN, NBCSG
Aug. 21 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Carb Day Indy 500 practice NBCSN, NBCSG
Aug. 23 1 p.m. 104th Indy 500 NBC, NBCSG

IndyCar Pass on NBC Sports Gold

All on-track activity in the NTT IndyCar Series will be featured on NBC Sports Gold. Click here for more information on the IndyCar Pass.

Borg-Warner Trophy
The Borg-Warner Trophy sits in front of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway pagoda (Chris Owens/IndyCar).

Zach Veach splits with Andretti Autosport for rest of IndyCar season

Gregory Shamus/Getty Images
1 Comment

Zach Veach will be leaving his Andretti Autosport ride with three races remaining in the season, choosing to explore options after the decision was made he wouldn’t return for 2021.

In a Wednesday release, Andretti Autosport said a replacement driver for the No. 26 Dallara-Honda would be named in the coming days. The NTT IndyCar Series will race Oct. 2-3 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course and then conclude the season Oct. 25 on the streets of St. Petersburg, Florida.

Veach was ranked 11th in the points standings through 11 races of his third season with Andretti. Since a fourth in the June 6 season opener at Texas Motor Speedway, he hadn’t finished higher than 14th.

“The decision was made that I will not be returning in 2021 with Andretti Autosport in the No. 26 Gainbridge car,” Veach said in the Andretti release. “This, along with knowing that limited testing exists for teams due to COVID, have led me to the decision to step out of the car for the remainder of the 2020 IndyCar season. I am doing this to allow the team to have time with other drivers as they prepare for 2021, and so that I can also explore my own 2021 options.

“This is the hardest decision I have ever made, but to me, racing is about family, and it is my belief that you take care of your family. Andretti Autosport is my family and I feel this is what is best to help us all reach the next step. I will forever be grateful to Michael and the team for all of their support over the years. I would not be where I am today if it wasn’t for a relationship that started many years ago with Road to Indy. I will also be forever grateful to Dan Towriss for his friendship and for the opportunity he and Gainbridge have given me.

“My love for this sport and the people involved is unmeasurable, and I look forward to continuing to be amongst the racing world and fans in 2021.”

Said team owner Michael Andretti: “We first welcomed Zach to the Andretti team back in his USF2000 days and have enjoyed watching him grow and evolve as a racer, and a person. His decision to allow us to use the last few races to explore our 2021 options shows the measure of his character.

“Zach has always placed team and family first, and we’re very happy to have had him as part of ours for so many years. We wish him the best in whatever 2021 may bring and will always consider him a friend.”

Andretti fields five full-time cars for Veach, Alexander Rossi, Ryan Hunter-Reay, Marco Andretti and Colton Herta.

It also has fielded James Hinchcliffe in three races this season.