IndyCar weekend schedule Mid-Ohio
Chris Jones/IndyCar

IndyCar weekend doubleheader schedule at Mid-Ohio

The NTT IndyCar Series’ 2020 season will begin its stretch run with a doubleheader weekend schedule at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.

The Saturday-Sunday race weekend doubleheader will be the beginning of five consecutive races on road and street courses to close the season.

After Mid-Ohio, the circuit will race Oct. 2-3 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course and then close the season Oct. 25 on the streets of St. Petersburg, Florida.

INDYCAR ON NBC: How to watch the rest of the 2020 season

Mid-Ohio will be open to a limited crowd because of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Points leader Scott Dixon won IndyCar’s race last year at Mid-Ohio, leading 38 of the final 45 laps and fending off a strong charge by Chip Ganassi Racing teammate Felix Rosenqvist to win by 0.093 seconds.

IndyCar weekend schedule Mid-Ohio
Scott Dixon celebrates his 2019 victory at Mid-Ohio with teammate Felix Rosenqvist, who finished second (Joe Skibinski/IndyCar).

IndyCar will be on track only Saturday and Sunday, but its USF2000 and Indy Pro 2000 ladder series will be on track starting Friday and also racing multiple times during the weekend.

Here’s the IndyCar weekend schedule for Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course:

(All times are Eastern)

IndyCar weekend schedule: Friday, Sept. 11

8:30 a.m. — USF2000 practice
10:30 a.m. — Indy Pro 2000 practice
11:30 a.m. — USF2000 qualifying 1
1:30 p.m. — Indy Pro 2000 qualifying 1
2:30 p.m. — USF2000 qualifying 2
4:10 p.m. — Indy Pro 2000 Qualifying 2

IndyCar weekend schedule: Saturday, Sept. 12

8:30 a.m. — USF2000 Race 1
10:45 a.m.-noon — NTT IndyCar Series practice (NBC Sports Gold)
12:15 p.m. — Indy Pro 2000 Race 1
1:05 p.m. — USF2000 Race 2
2 p.m. — NTT IndyCar Series qualifying 1 (NBC Sports Gold)
5 p.m. — NTT IndyCar Series Race 1 on NBCSN

IndyCar weekend schedule: Sunday, Sept. 13

9 a.m. — Indy Pro 2000 Race 2
10:15 a.m. — IndyCar qualifying 2 (NBC Sports Gold)
11:15 a.m. — USF2000 Race 3
1 p.m. — NTT IndyCar Series Race 2 on NBC

Zach Veach splits with Andretti Autosport for rest of IndyCar season

Gregory Shamus/Getty Images
1 Comment

Zach Veach will be leaving his Andretti Autosport ride with three races remaining in the season, choosing to explore options after the decision was made he wouldn’t return for 2021.

In a Wednesday release, Andretti Autosport said a replacement driver for the No. 26 Dallara-Honda would be named in the coming days. The NTT IndyCar Series will race Oct. 2-3 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course and then conclude the season Oct. 25 on the streets of St. Petersburg, Florida.

Veach was ranked 11th in the points standings through 11 races of his third season with Andretti. Since a fourth in the June 6 season opener at Texas Motor Speedway, he hadn’t finished higher than 14th.

“The decision was made that I will not be returning in 2021 with Andretti Autosport in the No. 26 Gainbridge car,” Veach said in the Andretti release. “This, along with knowing that limited testing exists for teams due to COVID, have led me to the decision to step out of the car for the remainder of the 2020 IndyCar season. I am doing this to allow the team to have time with other drivers as they prepare for 2021, and so that I can also explore my own 2021 options.

“This is the hardest decision I have ever made, but to me, racing is about family, and it is my belief that you take care of your family. Andretti Autosport is my family and I feel this is what is best to help us all reach the next step. I will forever be grateful to Michael and the team for all of their support over the years. I would not be where I am today if it wasn’t for a relationship that started many years ago with Road to Indy. I will also be forever grateful to Dan Towriss for his friendship and for the opportunity he and Gainbridge have given me.

“My love for this sport and the people involved is unmeasurable, and I look forward to continuing to be amongst the racing world and fans in 2021.”

Said team owner Michael Andretti: “We first welcomed Zach to the Andretti team back in his USF2000 days and have enjoyed watching him grow and evolve as a racer, and a person. His decision to allow us to use the last few races to explore our 2021 options shows the measure of his character.

“Zach has always placed team and family first, and we’re very happy to have had him as part of ours for so many years. We wish him the best in whatever 2021 may bring and will always consider him a friend.”

Andretti fields five full-time cars for Veach, Alexander Rossi, Ryan Hunter-Reay, Marco Andretti and Colton Herta.

It also has fielded James Hinchcliffe in three races this season.