For the record-extending ninth time on the 14-turn, 1.8-mile street circuit, Will Power will lead the starting lineup to the green flag for Sunday’s Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg (2:30 p.m. ET, NBC), the season finale for the NTT IndyCar Series.
It’s the series-high fifth pole position for the Team Penske driver and the 62nd of hid IndyCar career, five short of tying the legendary Mario Andretti. Power also won the pole position for the most recent race, winning Oct. 3 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course in his No. 12 Dallara-Chevrolet.
“That would mean a lot,” Power said about possibly breaking Andretti’s record. “That would be a great achievement for me personally, to be up there with a name like Mario Andretti. It’s something that I just love about racing, is when you get to absolutely get the most out of the car in one lap. That’s qualifying.
SUNDAY AT ST. PETE: Details for watching the Firestone Grand Prix on race day
“To be at the top of the list for that would almost sum up my career, I guess, as far as being the speed that I have, maybe not the championships. Certainly a lot of race wins, as well.”
Very very happy to get another pole at @GPSTPETE. 👊🏁
— Will Power (@12WillPower) October 24, 2020
Alexander Rossi, who has a streak of three consecutive podium finishes but still is seeking his first victory this season, will start second.
Points leader Scott Dixon will start 11th, three spots behind championship rival Josef Newgarden. With a finish of 11th or better, Dixon will clinch his sixth championship.
QUALIFYING RESULTS: Click here for the full rundown
Here’s the IndyCar starting lineup Sunday in the Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg (Position, car number, driver, manufacturer, time):
1. (12) Will Power, Chevrolet, 1 minute, 1.0369 seconds
2. (27) Alexander Rossi, Honda, 1:01.1730
3. (88) Colton Herta, Honda, 1:01.1815
4. (26) James Hinchcliffe, Honda, 1:01.3626
5. (60) Jack Harvey, Honda, 1:01.3675
6. (5) Pato O’Ward, Chevrolet, 1:01.7725
7. (14) Sebastien Bourdais, Chevrolet, 1:00.8102
8. (1) Josef Newgarden, Chevrolet, 1:00.8676
9. (21) Rinus VeeKay, Chevrolet, 1:00.8837
10. (7) Oliver Askew, Chevrolet, 1:00.9772
11. (9) Scott Dixon, Honda, 1:01.0283
12. (22) Simon Pagenaud, Chevrolet, 1:01.2298
13. (30) Takuma Sato, Honda, 1:00.9423
14. (20) Conor Daly, Chevrolet, 1:01.1609
15. (8) Marcus Ericsson, Honda, 1:00.9619
16. (55) Alex Palou, Honda, 1:01.1630
17. (15) Graham Rahal, Honda, 1:01.1458
18. (18) Santino Ferrucci, Honda, 1:01.1797
19. (28) Ryan Hunter-Reay, Honda, 1:01.1732
20. (4) Charlie Kimball, Chevrolet, 1:01.2425
21. (3) Scott McLaughlin, Chevrolet, 1:01.6409
22. (10) Felix Rosenqvist, Honda, 1:01.5224
23. (98) Marco Andretti, Honda, 1:01.6833
24. (59) Max Chilton, Chevrolet, 1:21.7909