IndyCar race weekend schedule for the 2021 season opener at Barber Motorsports Park

IndyCar weekend schedule Barber
Brian Cleary/Getty Images
1 Comment

A full schedule of IndyCar racing is on tap this weekend for Barber Motorsports Park, which will play host to the NTT Series season opener for the first time Sunday.

The Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama was moved into the leadoff slot when the Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg (which opened the IndyCar slate in 10 of 11 seasons before becoming the 2020 season finale) was delayed to April 25. It’s the first time in IndyCar history that the season has opened on a permanent road course.

In addition to the NTT IndyCar Series, all three Road to Indy presented by Cooper Tires ladder series — Indy Lights, Indy Pro 2000 and USF2000 also will be racing at Barber.

ENTRY LIST: Rated rookie trio among 24 drivers at Barber Motorsports Park

In a tweak to race weekend schedules since the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic that has carried over to the 2021 season, Barber will be a two-day show for the NTT IndyCar Series. Saturday will feature two practices totaling 90 minutes and a qualifying session; Sunday will include a 30-minute warmup before the race goes green at 3:42 p.m. ET.

Sunday’s race will be broadcast on NBC; all practice and qualifying sessions this season will be streamed live on Peacock Premium.

Here’s the IndyCar weekend schedule for the Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama:

11:25-11:45 a.m.: Indy Pro 2000 qualifying #1

Noon-12:30 p.m.: Indy Lights qualifying #1

2:50-3:10 p.m.: USF2000 qualifying #2

3:25-3:45 p.m.: Indy Pro 2000 qualifying #2

4-4:30 p.m.: Indy Lights qualifying #2

Saturday

9-9:40 a.m.: USF2000 Race #1 (20 laps/40 min)

11-11:45 a.m.: IndyCar practice, Peacock Premium

12:10-1 p.m.: Indy Pro 2000 Race #1 (25 laps/50 min)

1:15-2:15 p.m.: Indy Lights Race #1 (30 laps/60 min)

2:40-3:25 p.m.: IndyCar practice, Peacock Premium

4:50-5:30 p.m.: USF2000 Race #2 (25 laps/40 min)

5:55-7:10 p.m.: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama qualifying, Peacock Premium (live); NBCSN (Tape delayed at 10 p.m. ET)

Sunday

10:15-11:05 a.m.: Indy Pro 2000 Race #2 (30 laps/50 min)

11:30 a.m.-noon: IndyCar warmup, Peacock Premium

1:20-2:20 p.m.: Indy Lights Race #2 (35 laps/60 min)

3 p.m.: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama (90 laps/207 miles), NBC

3:35 p.m.: Command to start engines

3:42 p.m.: Green flag

Josef Newgarden claims first Indy 500 victory, outdueling Marcus Ericsson in 1-lap shootout

0 Comments

INDIANAPOLIS — Josef Newgarden won the 107th Indy 500 with a last-lap pass of Marcus Ericsson, giving team owner Roger Penske his 19th victory in the race but his first as the owner of Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

In a one-lap shootout after the third red flag in the final 20 laps, Newgarden grabbed the lead from Ericsson on the backstretch and then weaved his way to the checkered flag (mimicking the same moves Ericsson had made to win at the Brickyard last year). Santino Ferrucci finished third for AJ Foyt Racing, maintaining his streak of finishing in the top 10 in all five of his Indianapolis 500 starts.

“I’m just so thankful to be here,” Newgarden told NBC Sports’ Marty Snider. “You have no idea. I started out as a fan in the crowd. And this place, it’s amazing.

INSIDE TEAM PENSKE: The tension and hard work preceding ‘The Captain’s’ 19th win

“Regardless of where you’re sitting. It doesn’t matter if you’re driving the car, you’re working on it or you’re out here in the crowd. You’re a part of this event and the energy. So thank you to Indianapolis. I love this city. I grew up racing karts here when I was a kid. I’m just so thankful for Roger and (team president) Tim (Cindric) and everybody at Team Penske.

“I just felt like everyone kept asking me why I haven’t won this race. They look at you like you’re a failure if you don’t win it, and I wanted to win it so bad. I knew we could. I knew we were capable. It’s a huge team effort. I’m so glad to be here.”

After Newgarden finally got his first Indy 500 victory on his 12th attempt the two-time NTT IndyCar Series champion climbed out of his No. 2 Dallara-Chevrolet, squeezed through a hole in the catchfence and ran into the stands to celebrate with fans.

“I’ve always wanted to go into the crowd at Indianapolis,” Newgarden said. “I wanted to go through the fence. I wanted to celebrate with the people. I just thought it would be so cool because I know what that energy is like on race day. This was a dreram of mine. If this was ever going to happen, I wanted to do that.”

Pole-sitter Alex Palou rebounded to finish fourth after a collision in the pits near the midpoint. Alexander Rossi took fifth.

The race was stopped three times for 37 minutes for three crashes, including a terrifying wreck involving Felix Rosenqvist and Kyle Kirkwood that sent a tire over the Turn 2 catchfence.

It had been relatively clean with only two yellow flags until the final 50 miles.

After spending the first half of the race trading the lead, pole-sitter Alex Palou and Rinus VeeKay (who started second) collided while exiting the pits under yellow on Lap 94.

Leaving the pits after leading 24 laps, VeeKay lost control under acceleration. He looped his No. 21 Dallara-Chevy into the No. 10 Dallara-Honda of Palou that already had left the first pit stall after completing its stop,

Palou, who had led 36 laps. stayed on the lead lap despite multiple stops to replace the front wing but restarted in 28th.

“What an absolute legend trying to win it,” Palou sarcastically radioed his team about VeeKay, who received a drive-through penalty for the contact when the race returned to green.

The incident happened after the first yellow flag on Lap 92 after Sting Ray Robb slapped the outside wall in Turn 1 after battling with Graham Rahal.

Robb put the blame on Rahal in an interview with NBC Sports’ Dillon Welch.

“I think I just need to pay more attention to the stereotypes of the series,” Robb said. “Pay attention to who I’m racing, and that was just way too aggressive of a move I thought. But yeah, I guess we’re in the wall and not much further to say.”

An already miserable May for Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing continued before the race even started.

Rahal, who failed to qualify but started his 16th consecutive Indy 500 in place of the injured Stefan Wilson, was unable to start his No. 24 for Dreyer & Reinbold/Cusick Motorsports.

After two aborted attempts at firing the car’s Chevrolet engine, team members pushed Rahal behind the pit wall and swapped out a dead battery. Rahal finally joined the field on the third lap, but he wouldn’t finish last.

RLL teammate Katherine Legge, who had been involved in the Monday practice crash that fractured Wilson’s back, struggled with the handling on her No. 44 Dallara-Honda and nearly spun while exiting the pits after her first stop on Lap 35.

Legge exited her car about 30 laps later as her team began working to fix a steering problem.