IndyCar at Portland: How to watch on NBC, start times, TV info and streaming, schedule

IndyCar Portland start times
Chris Owens/Penske Entertainment
2 Comments

IndyCar Portland start times: The NTT IndyCar Series championship is the tightest it’s been in at least two decades with two races remaining.

Seven drivers remain mathematically eligible for the title heading into the Grand Prix of Portland, and the 58-point margin separating championship leader Will Power from seventh-ranked Will Power is only four points more than the maximum available over a race weekend.

Team Penske’s Power leads teammate Josef Newgarden (winner of the most recent race at Gateway) by three points. Six-time series champion Scott Dixon trails by 14 points with Marcus Ericsson (17 points behind), Alex Palou (minus-43), Scott McLaughlin (minus-54) and O’Ward also in the hunt.

Defending series champion Palou also is the defending winner at Portland (where he took the points lead for good last year).

The 2022 season will conclude Sept. 11 at Laguna Seca Raceway.

Here are the details and IndyCar start times for the Grand Prix of Portland at Portland International Raceway (all times are ET):

INDYCAR AT PORTLAND START TIMES

TV: Sunday, 3 p.m. ET on NBC and streaming on Peacock, the NBC Sports App and NBCSports.com. Leigh Diffey is the announcer with analysts Townsend Bell and James Hinchcliffe. Kevin Lee and Dillon Welch are the pit reporters. Click here for the full NBC Sports schedule for IndyCar in 2022.

Peacock also will be the streaming broadcast for both practices and qualifying. (Click here for information on how to sign up for Peacock.)

COMMAND TO START ENGINES: 3:23 p.m. ET

GREEN FLAG: 3:30 p.m. ET

POSTRACE SHOW ON PEACOCK: After the race’s conclusion, an exclusive postrace show will air on Peacock with driver interviews, postrace analysis and the podium presentation. To watch the extended postrace show, click over to the special stream on Peacock after the race ends.

Peacock also will be the streaming broadcast for practices and qualifying.

INDYCAR RADIO NETWORK: The IndyCar and Indy Lights races and all practices and qualifying sessions will air live on network affiliates, SiriusXM 160, racecontrol.indycar.com and the IndyCar app.

PRACTICE: Friday, 5:30 p.m. (Peacock Premium); Saturday noon (Peacock Premium), 7:15 p.m. (Peacock Premium)

PRACTICE RESULTS: Session I l Session II l Session III l Combined

QUALIFYING: Saturday, 3:05 p.m. (Peacock Premium)

STARTING LINEUP: Click here for the 25-car grid Sunday at the green flag

RACE DISTANCE: The race is 110 laps/216.04 miles on a 12-turn, 1.964-mile road course in Portland, Oregon.

TIRE ALLOTMENT: Six sets primary, four sets alternate of Firestones. Teams must use one set of primary and one new set of alternate tires in the race. (Note: A seventh set of primary tires is available to any car fielding a rookie driver.).

PUSH TO PASS: 200 seconds of total time with a maximum time of 20 seconds per activation. The push-to-pass will be available at the finish line after the initial start or restarts. The feature increases the power of the engine by approximately 60 horsepower. (Indy Lights push to pass: 150 seconds of total time with a maximum time of 15 seconds per activation.)

FORECAST: According to Wunderground.com, it’s expected to be 81 degrees with a 53% chance of rain at the green flag.

ENTRY LISTClick here to view the 25 IndyCar drivers racing at Portland

INDY LIGHTS RACE: Sunday, 1:20 p.m., 35 laps/68.75 miles or 55 minutes (Peacock Premium)

INDY LIGHTS ENTRY LISTClick here for the 12 drivers entered

INDYCAR PORTLAND WEEKEND SCHEDULE, START TIMES

(All times are Eastern; subject to change)

Thursday, Sept. 1

Noon: USF2000 practice

1 p.m.: Indy Pro 2000 practice

2:45 p.m.: USF2000 practice

3:45 p.m.: Indy Pro 2000 practice

4:45 p.m.: USF2000 practice

5:45 p.m.: Indy Pro 2000 practice

Friday, Sept. 2

Noon: USF2000 qualifying

12:55 p.m.: Indy Pro 2000 qualifying

2:20 p.m.: USF2000 Race 1

3:20 p.m.: Indy Pro 2000 Race 1

4:25 p.m.: Indy Lights practice

5:30 p.m.: IndyCar practice (Peacock Premium)

7 p.m.: USF2000 Race 2

8 p.m.: Indy Pro 2000 Race 2

9:05 p.m.: ARCA practice

Saturday, Sept. 3

Noon: IndyCar practice

1:15 p.m.: USF2000 Race 3

2:15 p.m.: Indy Lights practice

3:05 p.m.: IndyCar qualifying (Peacock Premium)

4:35 p.m.: ARCA qualifying

5:20 p.m.: Indy Pro 2000 Race 3

6:25 p.m.: Indy Lights qualifying

7:15 p.m.: IndyCar practice (Peacock Premium)

8:30 p.m.: ARCA race, 57 laps/112 miles

Sunday, Sept. 4

1:20 p.m.: Indy Lights race, 35 laps/68.75 miles or 55 minutes (Peacock Premium)

3:30 p.m.: Green flag for the IndyCar Grand Prix of Portland, 110 laps/216.04 miles (NBC, Peacock Premium)

COVERAGE ON NBCSPORTS.COM

ROUND 1Scott McLaughlin opens season with breakthrough victory at St. Petersburg

ROUND 2Josef Newgarden nips McLaughlin in last corner for 1-2 Penske finish at Texas

ROUND 3: Josef Newgarden keeps Penske unbeaten in 2022 with first Long Beach win

ROUND 4Pato O’Ward’s nifty pass seals victory at Barber

ROUND 5Colton Herta tames the rain in GMR Grand Prix

ROUND 6Marcus Ericsson wins Indy 500 in two-lap shootout

ROUND 7Redemption in Detroit for Will Power in Belle Isle farewell

ROUND 8Josef Newgarden earns $1 million bonus with Road America victory

ROUND 9Scott McLaughlin takes Mid-Ohio as Andretti teammates feud

ROUND 10Scott Dixon ties Mario Andretti on all-time list with Toronto win

ROUND 11Josef Newgarden continues Iowa Speedway dominance

ROUND 12Pato O’Ward wins as Newgarden crashes, faints at Iowa

ROUND 13Alexander Rossi ends 49-race winless streak on IMS road course

ROUND 14Scott Dixon wins wild Music City Grand Prix

ROUND 15: Josef Newgarden charges to fifth victory after rain delay

Viewer’s guide to the 2022 season

HOW TO WATCH INDYCAR IN 2022Full NBC Sports schedule

Heather Lyne, Dennis Erb Jr. make history in the World of Outlaws Late Model Series

Lyne Erb Outlaws Late
Jacy Norgaard / World of Outlaws
0 Comments

More than two decades in the making, the pairing of Heather Lyne and Dennis Erb Jr. produced a historical milestone in Dirt Late Model.

Last month, Erb and his long-time crew chief Lyne won their first World of Outlaws Late Model Championship and with this achievement, Lyne became the first female crew chief to win in a national late model series. Their journey together goes back 21 years and tells the story of hard work, persistence and belief in oneself.

After a career-best season with the World of Outlaws, Erb and Lyne secured the points championship at US 36 Raceway in Osborn, Mo. with three races remaining in the season. The consistency and success of their season came down to pinpoint focus. Lyne and Erb are a team of two living out a David vs. Goliath tale. In order to be as successful as possible this year the duo knew they had to do as much as possible with the resources they had.

“It’s always a challenge when you only have two people, both at the racetrack and at the shop,” Lyne told NBC Sports. “I also work full time, so during the day, Dennis has to do a significant amount of work so that when I get down there I can start working and maintaining. It’s planning ahead. It’s having that system in place and making sure that you’re prepared ahead of time.

“When you have a problem at the track, making sure you have all that stuff ready so it’s a quick change and not a lengthy process to make a repair. We had zero DNFs in the World of Outlaws, we had only one DNF out of 96 races [combined among all series].”

Dennis Erb clinched his 2022 championship before the World of Outlaws World Finals. Jacy Norgaard – World of Outlaws Late Model Series.

Taming Time

This was not an easy feat. Between a full travel schedule and Lyne’s full-time job as an engineer, time comes at a premium. What they lack in time and resources they made up for in patience and planning.

“We buckled down, and we got all the equipment that we needed back, motors freshened, and things of that nature,” Lyne said about the mid-point of last season. “We were able to keep up with that. We just had a higher focus. I tried to reduce my hours at my day job as much as I possibly could while still maintaining what I need to get done at work. I got rid of a lot of the other distractions and got a more refined system in place at the shop.

“We did certain tasks on certain days so we had time to recover. We were on the road a little bit more, as opposed to coming home to the shop. So we had to be more prepared to stay out on those longer runs. It was just really staying on top of things a little more. It was a heightened sense.”

This was Lyne and Erb’s fourth full season with the Outlaws, but they’ve been on the road together for the last 21 seasons starting in 2001. Their partnership began with Lyne’s bravery. When one door closed, she was quick to open another. In 2001, Lyne’s dad was ready to stop racing. Her mother wanted to regain her weekends, but Lyne knew this was her life path and wasn’t prepared to lose it.

“I’ve always been a tomboy at heart,” Lyne said. “I watched racing with my dad. Growing up he watched NASCAR. In high school, I got tired of playing at the lake house, so I went to the local dirt track and fell in love with it. I just couldn’t get enough. It took a year for me to convince my dad to come to the track with me. He finally did and we sponsored a car that year, the following year he started to race limited cars. He ran hobby stocks and limited late models.”

At some point, Lyne and her father’s level of commitment drifted apart.

“He did it for about five years,” Lyne said. “And then my mom said: ‘I’m done racing. I want my weekends back. It’s just not fun anymore.’ I wasn’t ready to hang up my wenches and Dennis raced out of the same hometown so I, on a dare, went down and introduced myself; told him if you ever need any help, I’ll drill out rivets, I’ll help wash, whatever you need. Twenty-one years later here I am.”

Heather Lyne became the first female crew chief to secure a national touring late model championship in 2022. Paul Arch / World of Outlaws Late Model Series.

Breaking Through

Lyne entered a male-dominated job in a field that is also male-dominated – and where there were few examples of women creating these places for themselves. In this way, Lyne became a blueprint for other women as they strive to find a place for themselves in racing and in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) overall. She has her mother to thank for providing a strong role model, her father for sharing her passion, Erb for taking a chance on an unknow entity and most importantly herself.

“I was raised to believe that I can do anything, I want to do, as long as I put my heart and soul into it.” Lyne replied when asked about role models in the sport growing up. “My parents did not raise me to have that limitation. But from a racing role model perspective, I went in there completely green and just introduced myself to Dennis, the fact that he was brave enough to take that risk and bring a girl to the racetrack. Someone he didn’t know at all speaks volumes for him.”

Lyne and Erb have learned how to survive and succeed with each other on the road. They do this by leveraging decades of combined experience and an ability to adapt to the everchanging landscape of dirt late models. Next year the World of Outlaws visits nearly a dozen new tracks and Lyne sees it as an opportunity for continued success.

“I just want to do it again,” Lyne says going into next season, “I’m looking forward to the competition, I always do. I wouldn’t do it if I wasn’t competitively driven.

“There are some new tracks on the schedule that I’m looking forward to trying for the first time that I haven’t been to myself,” Lyne said of the 2023 season, “Dennis seems to do well on those first timers. We won out at Marion center, we finished second at Bloomsburg. We have a good solid notebook of information to tackle them over the last three years with these rocket race cars that we’re running. It’s good to have that information and leverage it to try some new things.”