Marvin Musquin will miss San Diego Supercross with wrist injury

Musquin San Diego injury
Feld Motor Sports/MX Sports Pro Racing/Align Media
0 Comments

Red Bull KTM announced on Instagram that Marvin Musquin will miss Round 2 of the 2023 Monster Energy Supercross season at Snapdragon Stadium in San Diego due to a wrist injury suffered in practice, saying: “Red Bull KTM has confirmed that Marvin Musquin will miss this weekend’s San Diego (Supercross race) due to a wrist injury sustained this week during practice. The Frenchman is having his wrist evaluated by doctors and more information will come.”

A replacement rider for the week has not been announced.

Musquin was on the lead lap in 12th in the season opener after finishing fifth in his heat race,

Musquin is competing in his seventh season on a 450 bike in Supercross competition, but he missed the entire 2020 season with a knee injury. Musquin also missed the 2011 and 2014 Supercross seasons with ACL injuries when he was in the 250 class.

After returning to competition, he finished ninth in 2021 and fourth last year.

Musquin will be the second major rider to fail to mount up for San Diego due to injury. Yamaha rider Austin Forkner announced after Anaheim that he will miss the entire Supercross season with a knee injury. Forkner will be relieved by Carson Mumford beginning with the rescheduled Oakland date on February 18 once his wrist heals sufficiently from an offseason accident.

Pierce Brown was another rider who crashed hard in the season opener. He had a hard fall in his heat and was transported to a local hospital for evaluation.

After the crash, Brown said on Instagram: “Rider error cost me the night. Thankfully came out with no serious injuries just going to be sore for a little bit. Past behind us onwards and upwards from here.”

Brown has a sore posterior, but the extra week with the Oakland cancelation has given him additional time to heal.

Dylan Ferrandis in concussion protocol after Houston; uncertain for Tampa Supercross

Ferrandis Houston accident
Feld Motor Sports/MX Sports Pro Racing/Align Media
0 Comments

After suffering a frightening accident at Houston in the Monster Energy Supercross race, Dylan Ferrandis said he is OK but will be on concussion protocol, and his status for Tampa this week is not yet determined.

Two laps into last week’s Main, Ferrandis was engaged in a battle with Ken Roczen for eighth place. Ferrandis landed on the back Roczen’s bike and was thrown, landing headfirst on the track. Ferrandis momentarily lost consciousness and the race was red flagged so he could be attended to by the Alpinestars medical team.

“I’m okay after my crash in the main event. I hit my head first and got knock[ed] out for some minutes,” Ferrandis posted in an Instagram story. “Everything else is fine and I am okay now fortunately. Will follow the concussion protocol and will see when I can ride again.”

Ferrandis regained consciousness, the medical crew fitted Ferrandis with a neck brace and he was able to stand and walk to the cart under his own power. Ferrandis was sitting up when he left the track with a member of the crew stabilizing his neck.

“It was an awesome ride [for Eli] and a good way to come back from last weekend,” said Jeremy Coker, Team Manager for Star Racing Yamaha at RacerXOnline.com. “It was also the lowest of lows. Unfortunately, it’s part of the sport, but to see one of your guys crash the way Dylan did and to see him lying there was pretty tough. Fortunately, when I got to him, he was able to open his eyes and looked at me and said my name, and it was a huge relief to see him stand up and walk away.”

Ferrandis was off to a strong start in 2023 with a worst finish of sixth at San Diego in the first three races. He entered Houston sixth in the standings, one point behind Jason Anderson.

Ferrandis’ teammate Eli Tomac went on to win the race.

Also riding for Star Racing Yamaha and making his 450cc Supercross debut, Justin Cooper advanced from 13th at the end of Lap 1 to finish seventh.