melbourne

© Getty Images

Australian GP to remain in Melbourne until 2023

Leave a comment

The Australian Grand Prix will remain in Melbourne until 2023 after the city curbed a possible rival bid from Sydney for the hosting rights.

Last year, the Australian Grand Prix Corporation announced that it had signed a new contract extension that secured the future of the race in Melbourne until 2020.

However, New South Wales Premier Mike Baird announced in the lead-up to the 2015 race that he would bid to bring the grand prix to Sydney upon his re-election.

“I want the Formula 1 to come to Sydney, because no other city in the world could provide a more spectacular backdrop for this event,” Baird said in March.

“We know this event is watched by up to 30 million people around the world, and securing the grand prix would put our already successful events strategy in pole position.”

However, Baird’s hopes of snaring the race away from Melbourne appear to have been put to bed after Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews announced in a video on his Facebook page that the race would be not be moving, directly addressing his NSW counterpart.

“I’m sorry Mike, but the Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix is here to stay exactly where it belongs, in the great city of Melbourne,” Andrews said.

“The good news is that you and tens of thousands of others from New South Wales and right across Australia and indeed right across the world are more than welcome to come to Melbourne to be part of the great race.

“In fact I’ll even shout you a ticket.”

The video then confirmed that Melbourne would remain the host of the grand prix until 2023, before showing a message reading: “#SorryNotSorry”.

Melbourne first hosted the Australian Grand Prix in 1996, taking over from Adelaide, and has since become one of the most popular races on the calendar.

It will once again be the season-opener in 2016, hosting the first race of the year on April 3.